Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Kick-ass Cookies

I made some frickin' awesome cookies tonight.. I just tested them and they are sooo good. I wish I could share how my kitchen smells right now.

I made Banana Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chip/Blueberry Cookies.
This idea came from eating lunch on Friday. I always bring a piece of fruit for lunch and usually it's a banana just for convenience and I'm not allergic to it :D. It happened to be over-ripe and just... gross. So I decided to use the last 2 for baking purposes. I already made banana bread before and wanted to try something different and more awesome.

My colleague, Andrea, reads food blogs and gave me this recipe from Joelen's Culinary Adventures who used the recipe from Field Guide to Cookies.

I basically followed the same recipe as seen in Joelen's blog with small changes:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 cups rolled old-fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate more than milk chocolate)
1/2 cup fresh blueberries (I wanted to experiment to make it healthier)
Preheat the oven to 375F.

Mix the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add half the flour mixture, mix, and then add the banana and mix. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until combined.

Optional (what I did): Split the mixture in half, leaving one half in the mixer and moving the other half to another bowl. Add in the dark chocolate chips to the mixer and mix well. Add the blueberries to the bowl and hand mix.
The blueberries would break in the mixer.

Drop tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 14-17 minutes.

These are my experimental cookies with blueberries instead of the dark chocolate chips. The blueberries are sweet and the cookies have a hint of banana flavor. I made muffin top cookies!

The Banana Dark Chocolate Chip cookies are amazing too... they are crisp and the chocolate is still warm so it melts in your mouth...

I need people who like can eat... like to eat... to test my culinary skills for my food experiments... anyone? ;)

1 comment:

  1. ME WANT COOKIE!!!!!
    i can smell them rite now! send some over ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete