Tuesday, October 25, 2011

OJ Beef/Veggies and Nutrition Thoughts


I am poor. Let me repeat that. I am poor from applications (**WEEPS** > $2000 just for apps) and grad school. I don't even want to look at how much I owe.

So my wallet now has $7 dollars and I can't find my car keys so I decided to work with what I have at home.

I have orange juice. I have ketchup. I have salt, pepper, and other condiments. Some veggies.
I also have beef in the fridge already thawed.

Excellent.
I found this recipe using orange juice to marinate beef. Let's try this!

Beef in Orange Juice
serves 4
Ingredients:
Beef - I had 2 pieces of sirloin
- I washed and then cut the beef into slices.

Marinade:
- 6 Tbsp orange iuice
- 10 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp honey (again I was generous with honey)
- 2 tsp black vinegar (醋)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp minced onions
- Salt and pepper as desired

The hardest part was cutting up the onions. I just stood there and wept for a good 5 minutes. In retrospect, I forgot to do something to avoid that.

NO CRYING!!! D: D: D:
- Take onion and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes before chopping.
REASON: when the onion is cut, it releases volatile sulfur compounds into the air and comes in contact with the moisture of the eyes, where it forms a little bit of sulfuric acid irritating the nerve endings of the eye = PAIN... crying well help dilute the acid. Apparently, the drop in temperature will help to slow down the conversion of the compounds in the onion to volatile sulfur compounds.

Anyway, mix all those ingredients for the marinade and then marinate the beef for at least 3 hours OR overnight. I started in the morning and then stuck this in the fridge until I was ready to cook.

PREHEAT Oven to 425 degrees F.
ROAST beef for 10 -15 minutes. I would go for 10 minutes first and check it out. Serve.

WHY I AM AVOIDING THE GRILL:
My brother asks me why I've only been using the oven to prepare the meat instead of grilling.

My answer is this:
Although grilling is seemingly healthier than frying (less fat), there is potential of increased risk of cancer. I will always remember my nutrition professor from undergrad telling us to avoid eating charred meat because of the increased risk for cancer. A study in 2009 at U. Minnesota, led by Dr. Kristen Anderson, found that there is a 60% increased risk of pancreatic cancer by eating charred meat. Pancreatic cancer, not to scare anyone, is a death sentence (Steve Jobs, Patrick Swayze). There is no cure and it's difficult to detect b/c at first there aren't any outward symptoms. By the time pancreatic cancer is detected, it is already at an advanced stage.

Heterocyclic amines (HA) are formed from burning amino acids (building blocks of protein) in the meat. HAs are thought to increase the risk of cancer. These are found in high concentration in the charred parts of meat.

Grilling can be healthy though as long as you watch out for how hot the meat gets and avoid the smoke from bbq grilling. See link for tips.

Also note that the increase in risk is due to eating this over a long period of time.

BACK TO MY COOKING:
I decided to throw in bell peppers as well because something was missing and bell peppers provide great nutritional benefit.

- I remember reading in TIME or Newsweek a few years back that bell peppers protected against the flu or cold. It has vitamin C in it, a natural anti-histamine.
- I also read somewhere that it protected against cancer. The red bell peppers are full of lycopene, a red pigmented carotenoid, that might serve to have some protective effects against cancer as an anti-oxidant, although right now, the studies are inconclusive.

They look nice anyway :D

MORE VEGGIES: Shanghai Bok Choy -- yum.. :D
- Cooked in boiling water and olive oil with a little salt.

- This week in TIME: People who have genes that put them at risk for cardiovascular disease (aka heart attack), those who ate more fruits and veggies were 50% less likely to have a heart attack over a 4 year period than those who didn't eat much produce.

OLIVE OIL BENEFITS
- I only use olive oil because I think it tastes better and the health benefits are greater. Olive oil is naturally higher in monounsaturated fat which lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol and may possibly raise HDL (good) cholesterol so it may have some benefit for cardiovascular health. There might be a link with olive oil consumption and colon cancer prevention... studies have been done in rats which found that it reduced colon cancer when compared to rats ingesting safflower oil rich diets.

GREAT BACKGROUND MUSIC
- The whole time I was cooking, I was listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers full concert at Rock in Rio on YouTube. So good... so good because it kept me going and in a great mood.

RESULT
- I thought the food tonight was okay. My family said they enjoyed it. I thought I could have done better. I'm not sure if I really enjoy the taste of OJ in the beef... it made it kind of like a sweet and sour dish... I should have added more honey...




No comments:

Post a Comment