Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Steak (中式牛排) - My first attempt cooking with meat

So on Monday night, mom hands me 3 frozen steaks and tells me: "This is for dinner tomorrow night, cook." Then, she hands me a cookbook called "Creative Chinese Oven Cooking, the New Trend" by Hsueh-Hsia Chen and turns to page 65 and says, "Look, it's so simple! You can't mess up!"

We'll see, Mom, we'll see.

The recipe is for 中式牛排 (Chinese Style Steak) also called Garlic Flavored Steak, according to the book.

I didn't take many pictures because my hands were dirty from handling the meat and although I was washing my hands incessantly, I still felt like my hands were gross (I'm not going to spend all my time decontaminating the camera D:).

Ingredients:

3 steaks
1/2 tsp of salt
black pepper (as much as you'd like)
olive oil

Sauce:
2 Tbsp of cooking wine
2 tsp of soy sauce (I was taught that dark soy sauce or 醬油 was better for steaks)
1/2 tsp of sugar

2 bell peppers (one green and one red for color)
1 can of sliced mushrooms (no added salt) or fresh mushrooms

1. Use a cooking brush and brush olive oil all over the steaks

2. Sprinkle the salt on both sides of the steaks

3. Add the black pepper and spread evenly on both sides of the steaks

4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

5. Heat the trusty iron grill pan on the stove and arrange the steaks on the pan


6. Fry until you see the lines from the pan on the steaks and flip the steaks and do the same. The book calls for frying each side for about 30 seconds... My steaks were pretty thick so I did it for a longer time. I think I spent like 5 minutes for each side of the steaks. I just kept them on the pan until I didn't see too much uncooked meat left on the outside.

7. Then cover a baking tray with foil (easier cleaning) and place the steaks inside.

8. Roast the steaks for about 1o minutes in the middle of the oven, then remove. Cut the steaks to make sure they are as tender as you want them. I like my steaks close to well-done.

9. While the steaks are roasting in the oven, cook the peppers and mushrooms. Wash and slice up the bell peppers into squares. Open the can of mushrooms (fresh would be better but I didn't have any), drain the liquid, and rinse the mushrooms a couple of times with water.

10. Add a little bit of olive oil to a pan and cook the peppers and mushrooms.

11. Remove the peppers and mushrooms from the pan and add a 1 tsp of oil to stir fry the garlic.

12. Remove the garlic.

13. Make the sauce: Add the wine, soy sauce, and sugar to the saucepan and bring it to a boil (fast). The resulting sauce will be slightly thick. Add hot water to make more of the sauce.

14. Put the steaks on a serving plate and garnish with the peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Then pour the sauce over the steaks.

I didn't mess up too badly with this one.. I may have melted a spatula... and I may have burned the garlic slightly but I took out all the black pieces! ... (Don't worry mama will fix it).

I took this picture after dinner.. this is all that is left and will possibly be my dinner tonight :)

The result was pretty good. The steaks were just the way I liked them. My family seemed to enjoy it!

As a side dish I wanted to try out the mini rectangular pan I got from Kanman to make egg rolls. I cracked 2 eggs and mixed them well, added a bit of salt and pepper and a little bit of seasame oil. Then I added the mixture to the pan. When the eggs looked like they were almost done, I put smoked salmon on top and then attempted to roll the egg sheet from the pan. (did this 2x for 2 rolls which I then sliced up)

Result: Salmon egg rolls... kinda salty tasting... I didn't take pictures of this one... it was all gone by the time I took out the camera.

I learned something new! Next time I promise I won't destroy any more cooking utensils or burn the food :)

No comments:

Post a Comment